Monday, March 31, 2008

Cole Slaw (no mayo)

This is another recipe from my mother-in-law. My husband and I love this recipe because the dressing is not mayo-based. My husband does not like mayo, and I just prefer the tangy zip of the vinegar dressing! An added bonus…it’s good to go for summer outdoor picnics since it doesn’t go bad like those with mayo.

2 cups chopped or finely sliced cabbage (adding some red cabbage makes it colorful)
½ cup chopped parsley
½ cup sliced onions (whatever kind you like--green, red, or sweet onions)

Mix above ingredients. Can do this day before serving and refrigerate.

Dressing:
2-3 TBSP sugar
2-3 TBSP vinegar
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp. salt
(1/2 - ground mustard, my addition)
(ground pepper to taste, my addition)

Shake to blend and combine with cabbage mixture ½ hour before serving.