Monday, December 22, 2008

Cashew Clusters

If you're looking for a special treat that is super easy to make and doesn't involve the oven or icing or colored sprinkles, this recipe is for you! This is a winner above many other yummy recipes since it is 1) chocolatey, 2) embarrassingly quick and easy, 3) different than all the other "cookie" exchange items, 4) substantially satisfying to eat!

This is a recipe my mom always made at Christmastime. My Grandma Hardie used to make these, and many of her five children latched onto the recipe and have continued to make these chocolatey morsels for many, many years. My family always used the roasted Spanish peanuts, but I prefer the cashews. My children and I now make these clusters at Christmastime and give them to friends and neighbors in small tins.


Ingredients:

12 oz. white chocolate chips
2-12 oz. packages chocolate chips
2 lbs. whole cashews (or roasted Spanish peanuts)

Directions:

Place chips in a double boiler over medium heat. Stir until chocolate until melted and smooth. Or microwave chocolate to melt by heating on high for 1 minute, stir, then continue to heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chocolate can be stirred smooth.

NOTE: depending on the chocolate you use, you may need to temper the chocolate to prevent white streaks from forming after the clusters cool. I use regular bags of chips and I don't bother tempering. Just don't overheat the chocolate while melting.

Remove from heat and add the nuts. Spoon onto waxed or parchment paper to form small clusters. Cool a few hours. Place in a tin separating layers with waxed or parchment paper.

To serve, place one or two...or three of them on one of Grandma Hardie's little Christmas plates and enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura: I don't remember Mom ever making this treat nor the carmel morsel bars. She made a ton of different Christmas cookies but these were not in her repertoire at the time we were growing up. I guess she added these when the grandkids came along.

Lisa said...

My Grandmother always made these...makes me think of Christmas!

L a u r a said...

Yep! The recipes I remember Grandma making are more from my college years when I was in town. Mom has given me copies of Grandma's many other recipes. So far, I've just added the ones I still always make myself.

Angela said...

I am totally making those when I get home. Who cares if Christmas is over.... yummmm!!

Harish Sangwan said...

rose day gift
red rose day
7 feb rose day
rose day greetings
world rose day
date of rose day
rose day cards
valentines day rose
valentine rose day
rose day msgs
national rose day
rose day wallpapers
rose day photos
rose day photo
rose day flowers

Susan said...

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place. Places you need to visit in 2019. ... Upgrade your travel photos with these lightweight cameras that pack a punch ... Enjoy the world's best places to travel with Things to do .